Autumn Term 2022
Autumn Term 1
Our environmental topic ‘Have we got the power?’ will be based on renewable energy linking with our Science topic on Electricity.
In History, we will link with a local study on Richard Arkwright with a trip to Cromford Mill to participate in a ‘Wonderful Waterwheels’ day. We will be looking at how Richard Arkwright developed his industry, the life of children working in the mill as well as how he used the waterwheel to power his factory.
In Geography, we will also look at how the village of Cromford has developed over time.
This term we will be learning about Electricity. We will be:
- identifying common appliances that run on electricity
- constructing a simple series electrical circuit, identifying and naming its basic parts, including cells, wires, bulbs, switches and buzzers
- identifying whether or not a lamp will light in a simple series circuit, based on whether or not the lamp is part of a complete loop with a battery
- recognising that a switch opens and closes a circuit and associate this with whether or not a lamp lights in a simple series circuit
- recognising some common conductors and insulators, and associate metals with being good conductors