Autumn Term 2022
Art: Our art topic for this half term will be investigating the question 'Is art the same all around the world?’ Within in, we will be looking at a range of different styles of art and trying to create our own versions of this. See are curriculum plan below for more details.
In History, we will continue to develop our understanding of Early Islamic Civilisation before moving on to Benin Kingdom. We will learn about how the Benin Kingdom was formed and what art and artefacts have come from that era.
In Geography, we will be doing a case study on Russia. We will be learning about the physical and human geography of Russia and creating a double-page spread of information relating to this.
In DT, we will be consolidating our learning of electrical circuits by designing our own Christmas cards that have a light-up feature.
This term we will be learning about Properties and changes of materials
Pupils should be taught to:
- compare and group together everyday materials on the basis of their properties, including their hardness, solubility, transparency, conductivity (electrical and thermal), and response to magnets
- know that some materials will dissolve in liquid to form a solution, and describe how to recover a substance from a solution
- use knowledge of solids, liquids and gases to decide how mixtures might be separated, including through filtering, sieving and evaporating
- give reasons, based on evidence from comparative and fair tests, for the particular uses of everyday materials, including metals, wood and plastic
- demonstrate that dissolving, mixing and changes of state are reversible changes
- explain that some changes result in the formation of new materials, and that this kind of change is not usually reversible, including changes associated with burning and the action of acid on bicarbonate of soda
Our environmental topic ‘Could we survive without the rainforest?’ will be based on learning all about the rainforest and the affect it has on our environment. We will also look at whether our rainforests are being looked after. We will be learning where rainforests are located and how they differ from other areas of South America.
In History, we will be looking at Early Islamic Civilisation. We will begin to look at the impact that the Early Islamic Civilisation had on academics and how important Baghdad was.
In Art, we will be improving our sketching skills are learning how to shade using different techniques. We will apply this learning in our own sketches of tropical plants.
This term we will be learning about Animals and habitats, including life cycles.
Pupils will be taught the following:
- Describe the differences in the life cycles of a mammal, an amphibian, an insect and a bird.
- Describe the life process of reproduction in some plants and animals.