Summer Term 2023
This term we will be using maps, atlases, globes and google maps to locate countries around the world. We will then be comparing human and physical features in these countries and the UK. Towards the end of the term we will be carrying out fieldwork around the school, recording human and physical features in our sketch maps.
We will study David Attenborough through a range of primary and secondary sources. In Art, we will look at colour hues and tints to create a piece of artwork based on the artist David Miller.
This term we will be learning about Living Things and Their Habitats - focusing on animals in their environments and food chains:
- recognise that environments can change and that this can sometimes pose dangers to living things
- construct and interpret a variety of food chains, identifying producers, predators and prey
Have a look at our sticky knowledge mats and half term overview to see what we w are learning.
This term's foundation subjects are based on an enterprise theme.
In DT, Year 4 children will be researching recipes for the best Rocky Road cake to be served for the King's Coronation. After researching and taste testing a number of Rocky Road samples, the children must come up with their own recipe, create their cake and enter a Great British Bake-Off style blind testing. The winning recipe from each Year 4 class will then be served at Alfreton Tea Rooms where customers can vote for their favourite. We really will know who has made the best cake in town!
In History, we will be learning about Ancient Mayan civilization, their role in the history of chocolate and how it contrasts with British history.
In Science, we will:
- compare and group materials together, according to whether they are solids, liquids or gases
- observe that some materials change state when they are heated or cooled, and measure or research the temperature at which this happens in degrees Celsius (°C)
- identify the part played by evaporation and condensation in the water cycle and associate the rate of evaporation with temperature.
Have a look below at our Sticky Knowledge Mats. Check the homework page for how you can practise the skills learnt in school.